We believe that any time of year is a good time to introduce new health and wellness habits into your life, but we do love the fresh energy of a new year to help us get things moving!
Now as we’re back in to a rhythm after, what we hope, was a relaxing summer break, it is the perfect time to think about what incremental, daily actions you want to weave in to your life in 2024 to help make you more healthy, vital, energetic and focused – both at work and in your personal life.
The trick in bringing about lasting change is about taking small, actional steps consistently.
It may feel slow at first, but seriously, it’s worth it. One day you’ll look at yourself and realise you’re a completely different person than you were when you first started this new thing/habit – and you’ll feel so much better for it.
Whether it’s drinking more water, increasing your daily movement, getting more natural light throughout the day or reducing screen time, you have the power to make it happen!
Start small and simple, and expand from there once you start to feel some momentum!
Habits can be a hard thing to get started with, so we’ve included a few ideas in this blog post to help inspire you.
We also highly recommend the book “Atomic Habits” by James Clear. This book is packed full of wisdom and genius, easy ways to build new and healthy habits that inspire you and those around you.
Soul’s tips for introducing new healthy habits in 2024:
- Start Small:
- Set yourself up for success and manage your expectations, and avoid creating a sense of overwhelm that may lead to burnout. For example, start with one healthy habit at a time ,e.g.drinking more water, before adding others.
- Make it achievable:
- Get clear on what an achievable goal looks like for you in this season. Instead of broad goals like “being calmer” or “getting fit,” make these specific and measurable. For example, start your day with three deep diaphragmatic breaths, or aim to increase your daily steps by 1000
- Create a Routine:
- Establish a daily routine that weaves your new habits in with little effort. Consistency is so key when forming healthy habits! Schedule in advance activities like exercise and meditation, plan your meals for the week, or lock in that monthly self care date with yourself
- Habit stack:
- Think about one thing you already do every day without fail. Then, think about the new habit you want to introduce. Can you combine the two?! E.g. brushing your teeth and saying a positive affirmation, or doing 50 calf raises as the jug boils for your morning coffee. Associating new habits with established ones can make them easier to adopt.
- Do it in community:
- “One of our favourite quotes in Team Soul is “if you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together”
- Can you Share your new habit goals with friends or family and involve them?! Having a support system can provide motivation, accountability, and encouragement. Doing it together can also make it much more fun!
- Celebrate your wins:
- Life is to celebrate. And you are worthy of your own applause! Celebrate your achievements, no matter how small. Noting milestones can reinforce positive behaviour and motivate you to keep going on your wellness journey.
To wrap this up, remember that moving toward a healthier lifestyle is a journey, not a destination.
Be patient with yourself, stay flexible, and be open to a course correcting and realigning your approach as needed.
Consistency is key, and small actionable steps over time are how we create long-lasting, impactful change.
Have fun moving towards an even better version of you, you got this!